Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lindneria clavata

Posted by bluebonsai101 6a PA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 26, 08 at 14:52

I got this bulb a couple of months ago from a South African import venture I organized and it thinks it is summer so it decided to grow and bloom.....not really what I had in mind, but what the heck!! This used to be in the genus Pseudogaltonia and according to some web sites it was maybe going to be lumped into Ornithogalum, but according to the guy I got it from who publishes in scientific journals on plant nomenclature it is now in the genus, Lindneria.

Here is the bulb....pretty massive:
Pseudogaltonia clavata
Here is the flower spike last week:
Lindneria clavata
And here it is today:
Lindneria clavata
The flowers start out facing up and then droop before they open and then after they are done flowering they actually lift back up again which is weird.

There is only one pic of this on the internet that I could find and it is obviously not nearly as large a bulb given how many more flowers mine has. Could be my rarest bulb acquisition so I thought I'd share :o) Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lindneria clavata

That's amazing. Great photography, too. I love that little drop of liquid on the right in the last picture. Is it fragrant?

Will you update the plant files on Dave's Garden with your info and photos? They have nothing on this plant, though it may be listed as something else, as you indicated.

o
RE: Lindneria clavata

Glad you liked the pic......unfortunately no fragrance though.

No real clue about Dave's Garden to be honest other than I had to report someone to the people that run it because they had stolen one of my pics and claimed it as their own.....honestly, if you can not grow a plant or take a pic you should not be allowed to join those sites :o) Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here