Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

mini's and short daffodils

I want some mini and short daffodils for an area where all foliage should be short. I have Minnow already: I'm hoping to find more kinds, hopefully something that might naturalize. I've been through Scheepers and Van Engelen, nothing really struck me. Since I have Minnow I'd ideally like something white, cream, or a pale yellow. It's a pastel color planting. The Minnow is really cute but too orange.

Comments (13)

• carol23_gw
    17 years ago

What about Narcissus 'Mite'?

• vetivert8
    17 years ago

Baby Moon. Thalia. Dove Wings (but it might be tender in your zone.)

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Is there a dealer that specializes in these things? I have several bulb catalogs and have checked online, but there seem to be few minis.

• leslie197
    17 years ago

The American Daffodil Society has a list of U.S. & International Sources for Specialty Daffodils. See Link below - scroll down for the U.S.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Daffodil Soc. - Specialty Sources

• jackied164 z6 MA
    17 years ago

I chose Segovia last year because it seemed about the least expensive. It was very nice. We will see how well it will come back.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    17 years ago

N. 'Hawera' is small, multiflowered with fine, grass-like foliage. It's a lemon yellow, not gold at all. It's my favorite daff and looks gorgeous in woodland plantings. The color of the blooms is exactly the same as Erythronium 'Pagoda' and as the leaves of the yellow leafed lamium.

I also have 'Thalia', but it is much larger and the foliage hangs around much, much longer. 'Hawera' foliage just disappears.

• lvmygrdn
    17 years ago

I ordered mini daffs from Brent and Becky's bulbs. Try there.

Here is a link that might be useful: miniature daffodils

Original Author
    15 years ago

This is an old post but itÂs interesting how it has popped up again, because I am still looking for miniÂs and short daffodils. I did buy Hawera and have been very happy with it. It is very charming. It is both very short and the flower very tiny. I did not know a daffodil could be that small until I had this one. I actually moved some after bloom this year because in the wrong location emerging perennials hide it. I bought a few other kinds (Sun Disc comes to mind) but though the flower was small the stem was still tall, which is not what I wanted, but that possibility had not occurred to me before.

Now IÂm looking for more variety.

• Donna
    15 years ago

As mentioned, Brent and Becky's has a whole section in their catalogue of miniatures. Some are real gems. I want to try lots more, but the ones I have so far are:

x odorus Linnaeus (Campernelli or Campernelle): my favorite daffodil. It is not a miniature, but is small and has fine foliage that goes away very gracefully. Highly fragrant and often my very first to bloom. Naturalizes easily here.

Baby Moon

bulbocodium conspicuus (Hoop Coat): deep green, fine foliage, big bloom for the size of the plant. VERY small plant. Naturalizes easily.

Fairy Chimes (sort of similar to Hawera)

Hawera: my second favorite

Jumblie

Minnow (white)

Tete a tete (a good do-er. Naturalizes)

You might want to check out "The Little Bulbs" by Elizabeth Lawrence. It's an old book, but has great information in it. I got mine through Amazon.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Always good to have a personal recommendation! Someone (Probably Leslie above on this same thread!) recommended Hawera to me 2 years ago and I have been very pleased with it. I will look these up. Hawera is a fairly late bloomer so the earlier Campernelle sounds promising. HÂmm, there is a white Minnow? Mine is not, is the white a variant? IÂd love an all white mini.

• daisy08(London UK)
    15 years ago

i recently bought mini daffodils. the packet says they would be around 15 cm tall and should be planted 10 cm deep. I am thinking of planting these in a pot.
    The question i have is how deep the pot itself should be. and how much distance between the bulb is required. also on web everywhere people mention about forcing bulb to bloom in pot. i am not planning to force them, just plant and keep the pot outside in garden whole winter. may be water if it too dry. will it work or i better find a place in the ground to plant these little bulbs.

• Donna
    15 years ago

linnea, minnow does have a soft yellow cup. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

daisy, I don't know your climate, but I would expect your minis should be fine in a pot. It seems I recall reading that Great Britain's climate is similar to our Pacific Northwest. If that's true, you should be more than okay leaving your potting bulbs outside all winter. You can plant the bulbs quite closely together, but they'll need dividing more often if you do. (Simple to do in a pot.) I like the minis anywhere, but the very small ones are especially nice in pots.

• kentstar
    15 years ago

Try Daffodil Kidling from Colorblends Daffodil depot. I just bought some myself. They look tiny, and lovely. Jonquil minis, fragrant,and that have that classic yellow daffodil look but are only 5 inches tall! Beautiful!
    I also bought some yellow double campernelle's from White Flower Farm.