Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I plant japanese windflower Robustissima over some daffodils?

Posted by fleuries 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 15:29

I have a circle which looks nice with japanese windflower on it, there are three plants, and these bloom late, but I don't know when the foliage pops out of the ground.

Will it be bare in spring, and can I plant a dozen daffodils there for springtime?
I am only doing daffodils because of deer/bunnies, no non oniony bulbs.

The circle I want to plant is about 36 " round and I have three windflower plants placed as the points of a triangle in the circle. Would I put the daffodils in the middle or move the plants in from the edges and evenly space the daffodil bulbs?

I have Espoma Bulb tone, will this hurt the Windflowers?

In spring the closest plants will be a big PJM rhodie, which is purple and a magnolia tree that has ordinaire blah white flowers with purple bases, and further in, some hostas that show up late, and some plain boxwood plants dotting the edge. I love daffodils that have orangey centers, so these purrrbly will go here too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I plant japanese windflower Robustissima over some daffod

You might be OK for a year, then the Anemones will win, as they can spread with determination.

And both the Rhodo and Magnolia have surface roots which can make life difficult for bulbs.

Being in z9, my Anemones don't go dormant. There are still old leaves and stems above ground as well as new furled leaves at ground level but they aren't up far enough to interfere with either the early or mid-season Narcissus (except for the jonquils).

If there's about six inches clear between the edge of the Anemone clump and where you want to plant the bulbs - should be OK.

A high potash fertiliser is usually fine as a one-off serving to help the bulbs develop next year's flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here