Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with amarylis please

Posted by prayerrock zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 15:39

I have several varieties of amarylis and I want to store them for winter in the house as it gets to cold in my zone 5 here. Is it ok to unpot them and put them in brown paper bags to store for the winter? I dont really have the room for all the pots so want to unpot them. Any help would be very appreciated.

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with amarylis please

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24 (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 19:20

There's a very active Amaryllis forum here on Gardenweb; I'd ask over there.
Ruth

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb Amaryllis forum

o

They store very well in a cool dark place. You want them to remain dormant, and not start growing until planted and watered. Al

o

On the amaryllis forum, someone spoke of doing just that - unpotting to save space. She said she regretted doing so, as the bulbs soon shrank in size, and I personally think that leaving them unpotted will cause the fleshy roots to shrivel. That is why some indicate that a light watering infrequently in the winter months is useful, if not essential even.

o

I took mine amaryllis up and put them in the brown paper bag as I recall having been suggested. Then - I found AMARYLLIS: YEAR-ROUND CARE. Now I am not so confident in what I did.

o

Bagging them up will sever or dessicate the roots. The plant will make re-growing its root system a priority when you re-plant it, causing it to delay growing as many leaves as early as it would otherwise, which means less photosynthesis and less opportunity for growth - in addition to the energy expended on re-growing the roots.

In my opinion you should not re-pot hippeastrums/amaryllises more than every other year, and ideally every 3-4 years if you did it with proper highly-organic soil that stays absorbent that long. The roots live a long time and are pretty fleshy and massive.

You can, however, plant hippeastrums in smaller pots to save space, and they also don't mind being doubled or tripled up in one pot. If they are root-bound they stop growing roots and put that energy back into leaves, flowers and offsets. Taking advantage of smaller pots is something to consider for future situations if space is an issue.

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 27, 11 at 18:55

OMG...

Store them IN their pots. At perfectly 55Fahrenheit.Leaves completely cut off.And for heavens sake do not provide them with water... they will prematurely grow some pale, thin leaves, and the preformed scapes will fail to emerge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here