Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulips next to Boxwoods and Arbs

Posted by SidewaysLS4 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 16:10

A sale on Darwin Hybrids suckered me into ordering a bunch...with plans on planting them in my shrub bed in front of the house for some spring color.

I plan on putting them in an area between some Arbs and Boxwood, they should get full sun. The only question now is the shrub rootmass possibly blocking the sprouting path in a few years. The shrubs are fairly new, so there is a definate clear path now...but how will this work out when the shrubs mature and have more root mass? Thinking long-term, I'd hate to have a spotty tulip bed caused by the shrub roots. Or am I underestimating the Tulip's ability to make a path up out of the ground?

Opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulips next to Boxwoods and Arbs

Tulips often dwindle after even one year, so I don't think the future spread of the shrub roots should put you off. The plain green background should set off the flowers really well. I hope you'll be planting in clusters of single colours, not mixed and not rows. (Bossy, aren't I?)

o

Yep, that's the plan...3 or 4 clusters of Red Apeldoorns

o

Should look lovely against the dark green. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here