Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
corms

Posted by simcan z6/Toronto (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 5, 09 at 16:23

Sorry if this is not the right place, but I have mistakenly acquired 25 corms of the blue Anemone de Caen, and they will not (apparently) survive in the ground over my Toronto winter.

So, what are my options? Force them over the winter? Not a bad option if they will bloom.

Keep them overwinter (in the fridge? at room temperature?) and plant in early Spring? How long will the dried corms last and remain viable?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: corms

I found some info about them on an old thread.

Per the link:
In cold climates anemones should be planted after danger of frost has passed in the spring. They prefer full sun but will tolerate some shade. ...snip..... In cold climates allow the foliage to wither naturally and dig the plants before the first frost. Store in a cool place that will not freeze."

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Anemone de caen hardiness?

o

In my experience, Anemone tubers are among the few bulbs that can be stored completely dry, at room temperature, for up to three years! Wow! =-O

o

If you have the room and the windowsill space pot up about five corms in a 20cm pot. You probably wouldn't have to force them.

When you first plant them keep them almost dry and have them in a mix that drains well. Once they've produced leaves you can add more water and feed them every week at the strength recommended for indoor flowering plants.

Really important - excellent light and a cool temperature (7C) and excellent air circulation to keep the foliage dry/mildew free. No standing in water. Tip away surplus water in the saucer.

They flower for ages if you deadhead regularly.

It might not be true in your area: I've found that spring-planted Anemones tend to rot unless the soil is warm and free-draining.

Hope they do well for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here