Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
subk3

Bulb suggestion?

subk3
9 years ago

I want to add some sort of spring bulb to two beds of existing vinca. The beds are in front the limestone foundation along the front of my yellow farmhouse and flanked by boxwoods. I have an abundance of yellow daffodils elsewhere, so was thinking a deep violet tulip to play against the periwinkle blue of the vinca--except tulips have never done much for me, and I don't know enough about bulb varieties to pick something else.

Any suggestions for something that will be well timed to bloom with the vinca and be an inspiring color compliment that might be more interesting than tulips?

Comments (8)

• Eimer
    9 years ago

Keep in mind that tulips are eaten by little critters such as voles and squirrels which do not eat daffodils.

Plus, the bulbs may not bloom at the same time as the vinca. Some vinca tends to be a summer flower, while tulips and daffodils bloom earlier.

Plus, tulips such as those in the photo may need to be replanted every year. If you want something more permanent, and if your vinca is a spring bloomer, consider daffodils other than the bright yellow trumpets (pale blue and pale yellow can be a great combo), muscari, allium.

This post was edited by Eimer on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 22:50

• subk3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a photo that inspired me to put a few bulbs in my vinca. I like the color combination even if I'm not crazy about tulips in general. The tulips pictured are Van der Neer--a heritage bulb. If I could find some I might use them, but they don't seem readily available.

I like how short they are which was one of the reasons I thought there might be some other type of bulb I wasn't familiar with that would work better since the modern tulips I keep seeing seem so tall. I think I can get a good color effect with any stronger pink or purple.

Thoughts or suggestions anyone?

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo is from my new favorite blog!

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

You might try Allium christohpii (albopilosum). It is metalic purple that stays attractive throughout summer ....which will complement vinca very nicely. It can grow tall if competing with others, but since you want to plant it among vinca, it probably won't grow too tall for your liking.

Truth be told, I think it will look stunning above low growing vinca. Its leaves are much less visible than those of tulips as well.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

erythroniums, anemones, squills, cammassia, leucojum, fritillaria

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

I haven't managed to eradicate (by hand) the vinca but Pitimpinal's idea of Allium christohpii may make me like it. Nah, too aggressive here.

Love the tulip photo. Darwins are tall. Emperors (Fosteriana) come shorter (14 - 20in).

How about the single earlys? Like Purple Prince (14 inches) on this page? Not as nifty as the color in your picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scheepers early tulips

• vetivert8
    9 years ago

To iris_gal - try piling untreated sawdust over the Vinca. It makes digging out the roots a lot easier (and improves the soil).

Back on topic: my Vinca are flowering at present - and so is Fritillaria pontica.

Muscari? Freesia (not the softy florist ones - the little ones which are hardier).

With the limestone - Hellebores, perhaps? Paeonies, which are starting to push up their bronze-brown new foliage? Ajuga, with either pink or purple flowers. Iris innominata. Blue Corydalis. Rhodohypoxis in bowls.

• Donna
    9 years ago

Spanish bluebells would be nice and are tough enough to compete with your vinca. And then there are daffodils. Yellow and blue is a gorgeous combo.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Yes, you can get bluebells (Hyacinthoides x massartiana) in pink shades. The familiar ones get sold as Spanish bluebells etc. but the strong-growing, common versions are often actually this hybrid. The plant blooms a long time and is so tough and prolific many do not like it, try to get rid of it where numbers of it are present in a garden.

Probably a lot easier to plant things that look well with it and let it be.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz