Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mold on bulbs

Posted by selbourne 5/6 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 16:59

I just unpacked my bulb order and found mold on some of the hyacinths and scilla. An enclosure from the bulb company said that there might be a some penicillium mold but it was harmless.
I intend to force the hyacinths in glasses (I've been doing this for years) and I know that sometimes a bulb will rot and not flower, but I don't remember if they showed mold. The scilla will be planted outdoors.
Should I treat the moldy bulbs in any way? I was wondering if a weak bleach solution would help. Should I just wash them? Do nothing? I'd appreciate your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mold on bulbs

Per the link below...
Step 1
Treat storage mold by gently holding the daffodil bulb in your hand and wiping the surface clean. The mold should rub right off. You can identify simple storage mold by the fact that it will be dry and fuzzy rather than slimy. It will have a bluish hue. This mold forms because of humidity and inadequate circulation.
Step 2
Dip the cleaned bulbs in the 10% bleach solution for ten seconds to prevent further mold growth. Allow them to dry on a well-ventilated rack before planting.

I think that should do it just fine.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Mold on bulbs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here