Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when do i dig up the glads

Posted by tinkerbel 7b/8a B.C (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 07 at 17:42

When should I dig up my glads? Its not cold yet the seeds just matured and they are still tall and green. I pulled a few out and cut them back the bulbs were covered in corms? what should i do with those leave them pick them off?

I know how to store the bulbs Im just not sure if its best to wait until the plants die down or if its ok to cut them back.

anyone want any I have way too many.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when do i dig up the glads

All bulbous/tuberous plants benefit from allowing the foliage to yellow before severing the roots. Green foliage still manufactures food. Early interrruption of this process may sacrifice next year's bloom.

o

I would never let them go to seed but cut off the flower stem as the flower fades. Do you really have to dig and store glads in your area? Al

o

I am in the same zone, and never dig mine out (way too many bulbs). They come back year after year big and beautiful.
~Natalie

o

Yes, no need to to lift and store glad corms in the PNW - unless you do want to cull or replant in a different location. They are perfectly winter hardy in the ground here unless drainage is questionable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here