Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodil bulbs Under Potted up Shrubs

Posted by mary_max (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 18:13

I just realized that I placed a bunch of potted up shrubs that I winter sowed this last winter where a lot of my daffodil bulbs are. These pots have been sitting there all summer. My question is. Do I need to move the pots or will the bulbs be okay and just not come up this coming spring. Will they then come up the following year (spring) or is this just hopeful thinking on my part. Perhaps the pots will have to be moved?? Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodil bulbs Under Potted up Shrubs

Perhaps the pots will have to be moved...sigh.

What is most likely to happen (speaking from embarrassed experience) is that the leaves will come up anyway. If they find the drainage holes of the shrub pots they will proceed through the pot to the surface and flower.

If they don't, they will curl up underneath as very yellow leaves and do their darnedest to get out to daylight. If you lift the pot later they should be fine and green up so long as the sun is not scorching when you do so. Grey spring days will be safe enough.

If you were watering the shrubs all summer most daffodils will be quite easy about that and will know to go into 'anti-freeze mode'.

o
RE: Daffodil bulbs Under Potted up Shrubs

Thanks so much for your reply Vetivert8. I will move the pots. (Sigh) I just hate walking back and forth on the beds so much... but perhaps this is what it takes to help me remember there are bulbs in my garden and start to think about that when I plant! I just forgot all about it when I put the pots there. It should have occured to me when I had an area that was without plants. That was for the bulbs!! But it didnt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here