Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alocasia Odora- What to do with it???

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 6, 10 at 18:32

I grew my alocasia odora in the ground this year, very impressive specimen. Last year it was in a pot and I constantly had to water it. But, I really dont want to find a huge pot to put in and grow indoors. Is it still okay to dig up the bulbs and store in the garage which does get down to freezing ??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alocasia Odora- What to do with it???

It will be a large amount of root to deal with, but a reasonable solution. I would pot it into an appropriate sized pot and keep it in your garage over the winter. Provide SOME moisture to keep the roots from desiccating but not enough to promote their rotting. If your soil is clay based I would wash it off before storing and store in a mix of mostly perlite, lots of air with just a little moisture. Al

o
RE: Alocasia Odora- What to do with it???

I would not store it where it gets down to freezing temps. I'd dig it, pack it in some peat or wrap in newspapers and store it much like glads or cannas are in colder climates.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Here you go...Winterize elephant ear

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here