Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edlincoln

Things sold as bulbs that are not bulbs

edlincoln
10 years ago

Now, I'm not talking about the technical difference between bulbs, corms, and tubers. Those are irrelevant to most novice gardeners. What I'm talking about is things that are not remotely any of the three being sold as "bulbs". This can be confusing to novice gardeners who aren't aware a certain plant doesn't actually have bulbs.

For instance, I bought a box of echinacea bulbs. What I got was a bag of dirt with pieces of woody root in it.

1.) What plants have you seen a store purport to sell bulbs for that you know don't have bulbs?
2.) Would chopping up the root ball of a plant and treating little fragments of woody root as if they were bulbs actually work for some plants?
3.) Assuming the answer to #2 is "yes", is an echinacea "bulb" a spring or Fall bulb?

Comments (5)

• ontnative
    10 years ago

I would not call Echinacea a bulb myself. Some people lump daylilies in with bulbs, but again, I would not do this. Liatris (Gayfeather) forms corms, so are often sold with other "bulbs" when imported from Europe.

Many plants can be propagated by root cuttings, but not sure if Echinacea is one of them.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

When a perennial is dormant and has no foliage, it is possible to ship it, and keep it out of the ground for a reasonable time if packed to keep it from drying out. Energy is stored in the dormant roots, so I guess some would class in the bulb category, but I would not. Al

• vetivert8
    10 years ago

Echinacea is a late summer perennial and would be flowering around the same time as Michaelmas daisies and, perhaps, Sedum spectabile.

Yes, you could divide the root ball of such a perennial to get pieces such as the one you've bought.

However.

For every root there usually has to be a growing point. (Propagation by root cuttings is the exception.)

And the fewer the roots, the longer you will have to wait for a lush display. Up to two years, sometimes, for them to settle and start to develop flowering bulk.

About the mis-labelling - it depends where the plants are bagged up. Generally, a reputable producer of perennials wouldn't do this. If they were bagged by the garden centre or store, though - don't be surprised. (At least you got a label saying 'Echinacea' instead of just 'Cone Flower'. )

• Donna
    10 years ago

I know exactly what you are referring to. In early spring, many big box stores sell these "bare root" perennials that could be mistaken for bulbs by novices. Some I have seen are ferns and clematis. These represent a very low cost way to get perennials, but they are not simple to get a good plant from. I have had the best luck with them by potting the bare roots up in a good quality potting soil following the package directions and then giving the plants lots of TLC for the first season. Thereafter, they are ready to go into the ground.

I would caution newbies that just because you see these plants available is absolutely no guarantee that the plant will thrive in your climate. We in the south get all kinds of plant materials pawned off on us that have no chance at all of surviving more than one season, If that.

• edlincoln
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bingo. At a big bog store I saw a big box (who'd have thunk it?) of "Echinacia Bulbs". They were specifically called "bulbs" on the plant. Echinacia grows great around here, but none of these "echinacia" bulbs grew. (Since I got a lot I planted a bunch along a border on the assumption a few would grow.)

We do get lots of plants that don't survive our cold weather up here, but often they are marketed as indoor plants or annuals.

Sponsored
Town & Country Pools, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Discover the Best Pool Builder in Virginia, Maryland & DC!