Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulb Lasagna Question

Posted by AshlieNeevel 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 18:45

Hi

I have recently heard about bulb lasagna (layering) and I have a question if this would work out or not.

My idea is to plant in the fall April-May blooming Tulips and above them plant March-April blooming Daffodils which I know isnt a problem but what I wish to plant afterwards is where the question comes in.

I would like to plant tuberous begonias in May right in the ground without pre-starting them elsewhere (no space to do so) and without removing the tulip or daffodil bulbs. Would it be possible to plant these tubers in May as the Tulips are dying off or would the foliage get in the way?

These would be mass planted bulbs and tubers. 180 Tulips (9 per sq ft), 140 Daffodils (7 per sq ft) and then in may from what I gather I would need to plant 20 begonias (begonia picotee bridesmaids) since they have a spread of a foot. In case you haven't guessed by now its a 20 sq ft area (irregular shape)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulb Lasagna Question

I would use a stake to mark the begonia's location and try to avoid planting bulbs directly under that space. I think if you leave a 4-6 inch diameter circle you will have room. Well, how big are the tubers? Will they be dormant or from pots? Accidentally cutting up the bulbs while planting the begonias is probably your biggest risk.

I hope your garden grows well. I have seen your diagrams I. Other posts and hope we get a picture if the final garden next spring. :)

o
RE: Bulb Lasagna Question

Thanks for responding. I keep going back and forth on what I am goign to do with the garden as far as plants go (aside for the boxwoods) I think the bulbs are going to be a pain so Im not going to bother with them. At least that is the sentiment this week lol. Im thinking heuchera berry smoothie and lime marmalade would be nice alternatives to flowers for year round color but someone had brought up a good point about underplantings getting in the way of the spiral topiary maintenance. We'll see how it all ends up I guess lol. The boxwoods (fingers crossed) should go in next month. The other plants wont go in till sometime next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here