Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring Bulb Guidance

Posted by careercounselor z9 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 8, 10 at 18:55

Hello Fellow GardenWeb Devotees:
My garden is my full sun deck here in Northern California and I am dreaming about at least one large container of beautiful spring bulbs next season. I would appreciate your guidance on showy bulbs that do well here in California in containers, the timing of when to plant and how to care for the bulbs until spring and good sources, if possible.
Great thanks,
Connie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring Bulb Guidance

Planting in a container on your deck, you probably want to replant as soon as the bloom is over. If this is so, you should think of your bulbs as annuals and expendable. Every year I plant 200 tulips to give a truly impressive display, if only for a few weeks. I buy the bulbs as soon as available locally, usually around the first of September, where they are the cheapest,usually Costco or Home Depot. Some should still be available. The bags of 40 or 50 bulbs are put in a small four cubic foot refrigerator in the garage, until the first week or two of December when they are planted. I plant them close for the best display, about four inches apart. Most years the rain is constant enough that no further care is needed. The total cost is about $50. Al

o
RE: Spring Bulb Guidance

If my only garden was my deck I'd be looking for bulbs that flower from early spring all the way through fall. Smaller varieties around the edges and taller varieties at the center. Without checking the zones I'd be looking at Snow drops, hycinthia, frenzia, tulips, asiatic lilies, crown imperials and canna particularly the tropicanna. And I would go to Brecks for each and every one. But the choices of bulbs are really that choices. It depends on what you like that will grow in your zone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here