Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galtonialover

Galtonia - Summer Hyacinth

GaltoniaLover
10 years ago

My Galtonia plants are going dormant. Does anybody know how long the bulbs need to "rest" before I can re-grow them in my indoor grow room? Any tips on how to prepare the bulbs so that I can re-plant and re-grow them indoors this winter is much appreciated! Oh, and does anyone know if this year�s seeds can be planted indoors now?

Comments (2)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

I wish I could help, but all I can offer is a guess. 8-10 weeks? That's about how long I would give an amaryllis before I started watering again. I bet someone else could give better info.
    I don't think the seeds need any cold treatment. I bet you have a decent amount of seeds, if you want to cover your bases plant one indoors, and plant another in a small pot and hide it somewhere in the fridge for a month or two before bringing it out to join the first.
    I planted some last winter and left them outside in the cold. They germinated well come springtime..... third option? lol

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

I have lots of Galtonia in the garden, which I love, but have never tried forcing indoors. I have started lots from seed with no pretreating but don't remember how soon after harvesting. They are almost 100% viable, and I think you could start them anytime. Al