Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Galtonia - Summer Hyacinth

Posted by GaltoniaLover Tacoma/Seattle (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 19:14

My Galtonia plants are going dormant. Does anybody know how long the bulbs need to "rest" before I can re-grow them in my indoor grow room? Any tips on how to prepare the bulbs so that I can re-plant and re-grow them indoors this winter is much appreciated! Oh, and does anyone know if this year�s seeds can be planted indoors now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Galtonia - Summer Hyacinth

I wish I could help, but all I can offer is a guess. 8-10 weeks? That's about how long I would give an amaryllis before I started watering again. I bet someone else could give better info.
I don't think the seeds need any cold treatment. I bet you have a decent amount of seeds, if you want to cover your bases plant one indoors, and plant another in a small pot and hide it somewhere in the fridge for a month or two before bringing it out to join the first.
I planted some last winter and left them outside in the cold. They germinated well come springtime..... third option? lol

o
RE: Galtonia - Summer Hyacinth

I have lots of Galtonia in the garden, which I love, but have never tried forcing indoors. I have started lots from seed with no pretreating but don't remember how soon after harvesting. They are almost 100% viable, and I think you could start them anytime. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here