Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Autumn Crocus Disaster

Posted by aggiebee 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 29, 10 at 19:15

This is my first fall in a new house and I really wanted something to bloom NOW! So I planted autumn crocus. What a disaster! They sprout, they flop, they end up looking like they've been steamrolled. It's really a depressing sight. I ripped 'em out in a fit of annoyance.

I am guessing the smarter way to plant them is in between some other perennial that will help hold them up.

What do other people do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Autumn Crocus Disaster

I love fall crocus. Unfortunately, they don't last very long. They do flop but I enjoy them while they're still standing. Mixing them in with ground covers and other low growing plants gives a very nice affect.

o

By autumn crocus do you mean colcheums or true crocus? I grow both and enjoy the color they add to the fall garden.

o

They are true crocus, I have more just poking out in other parts of the garden (I put them in late). What ground covers and low growing plants would you recommend?

o

There are many fall crocus and no all of them flop. I have crocus cartwrightianus which is just finishing blooming and it doesn't flop. I have others that flop and I don't know which ones they are. I planted them years ago and have lost the labels. I also have safron crocus. They hold up fairly well because the foliage comes up with the bloom.

Check out the question about saffron crocus blooming; follow the link in the answer and you will learn alot about the various fall crocus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here