Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenbug_gw

special care during digging up and winterizing glads?

greenbug
15 years ago

Hi All,

This was the first time I grew glads and they were beautiful.

I want to try to save and winterize the bulbs.

We just had our first frost this Monday, so been 3-4 days now.

I wanted to know if its too late to dig up the bulbs?

What is the procedure? Same as dahlias? Do I cut the top off and leave the bulb in for a week before digging it up?

How to winterize thereafter?

As you can tell, a newbie, so need lots of advice.

Appreciate any helpful tips and suggestions!

Comments (4)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I found some great info.

Storage
    Dig gladiolus corms once the foliage has been killed by frost. Shake off excess soil and sort the corms by cultivar. Cut the stem off just above each corm. "Cure" corms for about three weeks in a warm, dry, airy place. At this point, the corms you planted in spring will easily break off the bottoms of the new corms that developed over the summer growing season. Discard the old, spent corms and save the new ones. Leave their husks intact, and treat them for insects if they appear infested. (See "pests" following.)

Place the new corms in paper bags, cloth sacks, or nylon pantyhose legs. Store them in a well-ventilated place that's dark, dry, and cool. Ideal storage temperatures range from 35� to 45� F; the cooler the better, as long as they are not allowed to freeze.

When you dig the corms, you'll notice a number of miniature corms attached to the main one. These are called cormels. They should be able to bloom in two or three years if you save them and replant them each spring. Save the largest ones, at least � inch in diameter. Plan to plant them about 1� to 2 inches deep.

My neighbor has been saving her glads for years and years. I think they are all from the same corms she purchased years ago. Hopefully you too will have them to enjoy for years to come.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: The complete article

• greenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all the helpful info, chemocurl!!

• ladychroe
    15 years ago

Sometimes mine survive here in Zone 6. I bet if you planted them deep and mulched them heavily, they would come back.

I find that they are cheap enough to just buy new corms every year.

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

Sue, thanks for article link.

I just looked at glads I lifted and they don't have second corm under old one. They have plenty of little bulbels.

Assume I leave the roots on but just clean off dirt? Never dug them up for storage before but they were in container that I needed it for planting Spring blooming bulbs...LOL.

I have another batch of fluttery white with burgundy centers (Acidanthera)whose foliage were strangled by a wandering Morning Glory on steroids all summer but survived like troopers. When I dug them they also had tons of little bulbels around original corm but no second corm.

What gives with my bulbs...LOL.

I know I can buy more next year but I get idiotically attached to my plants once they've bloomed. Too painful to toss them.

I've got a laundry basket full of Daffodil bulbs I dug up in Spring because I needed to rearrange them after planting perennials and annuals. Just couldn't toss them.

They've been sitting all summer/early fall in that laundry basket lined with punctured newspaper in potting soil. When I took off overturned laundry basket I had on them to keep out excessive moisture I found a mass of new foliage peeking out from the potting soil. It looks like a little sea of Daffodils just waiting to burst into bloom next Spring! Thinking of having someone just hold one side, lift the entire mass and plant them in pile of organic top soil I have and then I can divide them carefully next year. (yeah, right)

If I slice into that mass now it's likely I'll "slice and dice" the way I've done with Daffs in ground when planting new tulips last month. Tulips in amended clay from last year had disintegrated so glad I bought new ones just in case that was what I found when I lifted their bulb cages. Tulips are the only bulbs I'd be truly upset about moles, voles or some other creature eating.

I'm wondering how many people I can scare the pants off of or really perplex by storing these glad corms/bulbs in pantyhose hanging from hooks with gardening tools along inside of garage...LOL.

Love gladiolus...they're such a pretty piece of the season's succession of blooming beauties.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio