Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about layering bulbs in garden soil

Posted by jlc102482 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 19:23

I would like to try layering bulbs in my garden, since I went nuts and bought 850 that I now need to find space for. However, I'm confused on how to do it. Should I put the largest bulbs on the first and deepest layer, or the bulbs that produce the tallest plants? Articles I have looked up conflict on which rule to follow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about layering bulbs in garden soil

General rule of thumb is to plant bulbs at 2-3X the depth of the height of the bulb. I think the size of bulb is more important than the eventual height of the stem. If I had bulbs of similar height, I would plant the later blooming ones deeper...

o
RE: Question about layering bulbs in garden soil

I'd plant them all at their recommended depths, regardless their blooming time, and regardless of if they are layered or not. If you have two bulbs that are supposed to go at the same depth you can stagger them a bit so they are close to the proper depth.

John Scheepers includes a nice handout with planting depths in the package. I imagine their website has similar info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here