Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maevesgarden

bulb glasses/vases?

maevesgarden
13 years ago

Does anyone have a source for the hourglass-shaped bulb glasses used for forcing single bulbs? I've seen them as part of hyacinth kits but I'm hoping to find several of the glasses alone.

Thanks!!

-Maeve

Comments (10)

• denninmi
    13 years ago

Try dollar stores and discount stores first. Look in the kitchen section. The same basic shape is often sold as a salad cruet. I've seen ones that would work quite well for hyacinths or paperwhites, generally around about 16 ounce capacity and probably something like 8 inches tall, with hourglass shape you need to force bulbs.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

I was thinking they were quite expensive, but found these at the link below for just $4 each, or $3 if you buy 12 of them...plus shipping of course.

denninmi is right...various things can be used instead.

See also...frugal hyacinth forcing vases

I have one 'actual' hyacinth forcing vase found at a yard sale, but in looking at some of my other vases (I collect those too), I think other 'squeeze' vases would also work.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to see pastel and different clear ones.

• maevesgarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Denninmi, thanks -I am checking out all my glassware with new eyes, now.

Sue - exactly what I am looking for - thank you!

-Maeve

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

There were a few years when these were hard to find but they seem to have reappeared over here. I have 10 like the ones in Sue's link in white, pale green and blue glass and I was surprised how cheap they were in my local market- about ã1.00 each ($1.50.) I have no idea where they come from and they have no brand name.

You might enjoy the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hyacinth glasses

13 years ago

You might enjoy the link.
    Wow! What a great site! So much variety, and so many different planting options. I'm now really looking forward to scouring the miscellaneous glassware shelves in thrift stores. Then off to buy some Hyacinths, and get them chilling. I wish I would have started earlier on this.

Sue

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

A bit late in the day but here are my hyacinths awaiting their role as mid winterer cheerer uppers. This was taken about 3 weeks ago. They have little green noses now and I will bring them indoors one by one nearer to Christmas.

The other picture is a brave Nerine bowdenii hanging on out in the chilly November garden.
    {{gwi:28828}}

{{gwi:17744}}

• ontnative
    13 years ago

If anyone buys those inexpensive bulb glasses that are COLORED, do NOT wash them in your dishwasher. I did and the color peeled off. It was just a film coating which the heat of the dishwasher dissolved. Learn something new every day. At least they were cheap, but the colors were so pretty.

13 years ago

Oh Flora, your cheerer-uppers look great, as does the Nerine bowdenii so late in the year. That reminds me, now that I finally got the hyacinths bought, that I need to get them started in some forcing containers.

If anyone buys those inexpensive bulb glasses that are COLORED, do NOT wash them in your dishwasher. I did and the color peeled off. It was just a film coating which the heat of the dishwasher dissolved.
    I bought a cheap (probably used) one at a thrift store and then noticed it was coated as opposed to being actual colored glass. I think even hand washing them 'could' remove some of the colored film, if one wasn't careful. Thanks for the heads-up.

Sue

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

The ones in my picture have been dishwashered many times. The glass itself is coloured. I don't remember the exact price but they were definitely pretty cheap ie something like ã1.50 9 (ca $2.40) They had no packaging or makers name so I can't tell you where they come from.

13 years ago

I'm surprised you bought the cobalt blue colored glass so reasonably priced. What a bargain.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths