Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How and when to ship Liatris.

Posted by docmom z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 20:16

I have very prolific liatris or Gayfeather which has reseeded generously. I've offered to dig up some of the tubers/bulbs and send them to a fellow Gardenweb member. Can I dig them up any time? Or should I wait until as late in the season as possible to allow them to go dormant. And if I dig up first year seedlings, should they bloom next season? Mine are all in a large grouping, so I don't know how old they are when they first bloom. I'm thinking there are small blooms the second year. Any information would be appreciated. Especially how to ship them. I'd probably ship in shredded newspaper and a small box.

Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How and when to ship Liatris.

Hi Docmom,

I'm sorry that no one has replied before now. I'm not all that familiar with Liatris, but possibly you will find your answers at the link below.

From the link below:
Planting too deep will result in no plants at all, which I can attest to from raw experience. My first planting of a bag of 30 Liatris corms resulted in about 5 blooming plants because I didn't read the directions and then compounded the problem by laying heavy mulch on top. Bury the corms no more than 2 inches below the soil line and less if you are using mulch.
If you have in mind to share them with a member in a colder zone, I'd think that time is running out, since they are to be planted so shallow. They will need some time to root in so that they don't heave out of the ground with the many freezes and thaws in the colder zones. If mailing to a colder zone, it might be best to wait and send them in early spring.

Hopefully others will have some input.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Liatris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here