Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storing bulbs till next year? or plant now?

Posted by heavenlyfarm 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 20:17

Hi,
This year, we decided to expand our driveway, which means getting rid of our vegetable garden. Now its filled with bulbs around the edges so I've spent a few days digging all that I can find out. I wanna relocate them to our one hill but we are also due for the Septic guys to come which they drive up that hill. (currently dont have much in the flowerbed due to weed takeover) So I was thinking of planting them but if possible, I think it would be better to wait till spring of next year to plant them when I redo the entire flower bed on the hill. How should I go about storing them tho? Can I just leave them dry and store in a bucket till spring or do they need special storage requirements and it would just be better to put them in the ground now? I'm just afraid when they come up the hill with the truck in a month or two that it will disturb the bulbs in the soil and mess up how they are planted(right way up)
Thanks
~Michael

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storing bulbs till next year? or plant now?

Ohhh and they are tulips, daffodils, crocus and grape hyacinth bulbs if that helps!
~michael

o

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24, (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 19:03

Can you store them for a month or two until the septic work is done and then plant them? Or will your ground be frozen? That (planting in a month or two) would be best if the timing/climate works.

o

I believe so, it is staying quite warm in our area. That's what I will try for if the ground is workable but if not, any special ways to store the bulbs till the ground is workable in early spring?
Thanks so much!
~michael

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here