Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Allium Silver Spring and Summer Drummer

Posted by raehelen USDA 7-8 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 20:36

Hi. I just bought some bulbs of Allium Silver Spring and A. Summer Drummer. Both are new to me. Has anyone here grown them yet? I know they are fairly new. Just wondering, as online descriptions in catalogues seem to vary...

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Allium Silver Spring and Summer Drummer

• Posted by kimpa z6b PA (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 20:12

I loved the silver spring I planted last fall. It was pretty and I noticed that it lasted so long after it dried in place with beautiful seed pods. So nice that I bought more this year. And the price has gone down at Van Engelen too. The fragrance was not appealing to me. I buy lots of allium as I have way too many deer. I hope it comes back next year. They are still expensive and I will not buy again if they don't.

I loved the Globemasters but they do not stick around for enough years for me. Probably a drainage issue. I put "Purple Sensation" everywhere in my part sun gardens and they do great. The dried balls stay for months.

o

Thanks Kimpa!

How tall did your Silver Spring get? That is one of the variables I found while researching...I saw anywhere from 16-36" tall!

That's funny that you don't have luck with GlobeMasters. They are probably the MOST reliable Allium I have! LOL! And I've lost a lot of Purple Sensation! (But I think maybe the squirrels get those?) So I guess it's different strokes for different folks!

You must be a trail blazer! I'd never heard of Silver Spring until this fall!

o

Sorry just saw your question. Mine grew about 24" tall. I saw them last year in the van engelen catalog and wanted them for the "sugary licorice bon-bon fragrance". The onion smell still prevails and I don't dream of onion candy. But love them otherwise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here