Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindi_ks

Where's the fall online bulb sales?

Cindi_KS
15 years ago

Every year I look here to see if Van Engelen or B & B or anyone else has great sales running, but this year I see no discussion. Who's the official lookout for these?

I sure don't want to miss this very important annual event. Somebody, please step up, take charge!

cindi

Comments (13)

• sapphireriver
    15 years ago

EasyToGrowBulbs.com is having a 30% off sale on some of their bulbs.

(copy)
    From now through Monday, Nov. 3 (yes, the day before we all go vote) each and every variety in the following categories is 30% off.

- Alliums: critter resistant globes that are bullet-proof (our owner's term)
    - Anemones: pretty, low growing partners for other bulbs; fluttery ankle accessories
    - Daffodils: critter proof, perennial beauties for cool and warm weather regions
    - Daylilies: tough-as-nails workhorses in rainbow colors
    - Tulips: gorgeous classics, giants, parrots and perennial species (wild) types
    - Peonies: exceptionally fragrant, long-lived (50 years!) beauties
    - Siberian irises: the epitome of elegance and easy care, too

Just type GOODIES into the discount box as you check out and the system will calculate your savings.
    (/copy)

• ladychroe
    15 years ago

B&B usually starts their sale the day after Thanksgiving. I've been haunting other sites and the box stores and will post when I find any deals. If anyone else has leads, let us know!!!

• ladychroe
    15 years ago

Note: Last year Touch of Nature had their specials up on 11/11 and I bought a lot of stuff from them. The bulbs weren't huge, but they all came up and were beautiful.
    Scheepers/VE's sale was around the same time. Hold on!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

A bulb site that is seldom mentioned here is BuggyCrazy. Most of their named daffs are $1 or less a piece. They also have a nice variety, but it looks as if a lot of them are already sold out.

I ordered from them in the fall of 2006 and was very pleased with their bulbs.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Page 1 of daffs at BuggyCrazy

• Cindi_KS
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annica, Thank you SO much for that lead!!! I just sent off a big order to Easy to Grow Bulbs. i'm getting peonies for a great price. I checked their feedback on garden watchdog and WOW people are pretty enthusiastic about them. I am looking forward to that order. Really appreciate you including that sale code, too.
    Sue, I order from Buggy crazy every year...2 orders in the past month. Lisa sends wonderful huge bulbs. Her feedback on garden watchdog is very good, and I've left her quite a bit of praise there also. She's very honest about bulb quality. She said this years' bulbs would be a bit smaller since the weather didn't cooperate, but still her bulbs are way bigger than almost anyplace else. She just has higher standards, I guess.

Ladychroe, I guess I got confused on holidays. I was thinking the others started sales right after Halloween! I knew it coincided with start of some hunting season, because I treat myself to a bulb order each year when my husband leaves on a big hunting trip. This weekend is opening of pheasant season, so it must have been goose or something else. Silly me.
    If anyone else sees sales, let us know! Thanks.
    Cindi

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Van Engelen just started their sale. It is 15% off, not too much, but their prices are excellent even without discounts.

Availability List

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

Don't they usually offer more off than 15%? I was disappointed when I got the e-mail, didn't seem like much. I really thought I remebered a much bigger discount. Or is it more later in the season?

• alina_1
    15 years ago

They might offer larger discount later, but all interesting stuff will be gone by then.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

I wish I could split an order. I'm interested mostly in lilies but don't need 5 of each. That's what holding me back right now.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    15 years ago

I wish I had the kind of garden where I needed a couple hundred tulips from Van engelen! I know I could find spots for them and like alina1 said, their prices are good without discounts... but I need to save my money (and back) for bigger sales!

Bloomingbulb.com has a sale going on, up to 60% off... great prices, average bulbs. I've ordered before and felt like I got a real good deal at that price.

Here is a link that might be useful: blooming bulb

• leolia
    15 years ago

Van Engelen just started their 40% off final markdowns. With every email I get from them I'm buying more. Hopefully this last purchase will be my last!

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Engelen

• ladychroe
    15 years ago

Here's one: Touch of Nature, see the link below. Not a huge selection, but excellent prices.

About Van Engelen... I bought one tulip collection, they were sold out of a lot of things. BUT my web order didn't go thru and when I called this morning, there were a lot of things back in stock because of cancellations. My bill went from $55 to $98, lol. So if you don't see something on line, try to call... at least today (Tuesday). Later would be too late, the rep was doing a countdown as things flew out the door.

Great sale! I'll be posting this in the other thread as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: TouchOfNature.com Fall Specials

• Cindi_KS
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Van Engelen 40% off deal is wonderful. A friend and I have combined orders for several years now, and what I really like is the bulbs will get here while the weather is still decent. They had sold out on all the Pink Impression tulips I love so much, but they did have the Valerie Finnis muscari which usually go long before sale time.
    I've checked the local box stores and they must have really cut back on orders this year because some stores have nothing! Because of the online sales, I have better bulbs, planted at the right time.
    I remember buying bulbs in January and planting in February, but this year, I get to plant more bulbs-- without having to wear 3 layers of clothes. That's lots easier, whew!
    If anyone does see Impression tulips at a good price, please post! Really appreciate all the leads here.
    Cindi

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor