Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caladium bulbs - when to take in?

Posted by ourfamilygarden 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 30, 08 at 20:44

Hi! I have a Caladium and Elephant Ears (well, as I understand it, Elephant Ears are Caladiums, also. We have a smaller Caladium, and the large Elephant Ears).

From what I've read with bulbs, you need to wait until the plant dies back before you cut the leaves. For our Star Gazer Lillies (for example), I wait until the leaves are completely died back before I cut them off. What do I do with the Caladium?

The small Caladium wilted this week, and the Elephant Ears are beginning to yellow. The nights are now dipping to the low 30s.

I'm getting mixed information. One source tells me to just dig them up, now, and cut the plants from around the bulb.

A book I have says to wait until the top growth is killed by frost (as this will "send the tubers below the soil into dormancy). Once the foliage dies, bring the bulb indoors.

Both of these plants are NOT in pots, but were planted in the ground over the summer.

Has anyone done this, successfully? Thanks!
Thanks for the info!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caladium bulbs - when to take in?

taken from the link below...
Caladiums are very intolerant of cold earth and will begin to show signs of decline as the soil cools. When they begin producing leaves that are small and pale you should gently dig them up, being careful not to damage the tubers. Spread the plants on paper in a well-ventilated indoor area to dry for a week or two. Then remove the foliage, pack the roots in a sphagnum moss, sawdust, or vermicultier and store them in a location that will not drop below 50 degrees F.

hth

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Preserving and storing your caladiums

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here