Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tuberose - Polianthes tuberosa - do I dig up?

Posted by brit5467 VA/NC border/coast (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 9, 09 at 20:48

The full name of my plant is "Hawaiian Double Pearl Tuberose." I ordered the bulbs from QVC (Roberta's Garden, always been happy with their bulbs).

Late Spring, I stupidly planted them behind tall lilies. Relocated them after lilies started coming up. But threw in Marigold seeds in the same area. Didnt expect Marigolds to take off like they did, but theyve taken over and tubers have been struggling to grow thru them ever since.

The leaves look healthy but I think the base of the plant would do better in direct sun. I understand they don't bloom until late in season so I think they are doing okay but would be better in another spot.

Question can I relocate them NOW to a better area -- or are they something I need to dig up for the winter? The info that came with them is confusing. Talks of them being planted in pots. But they were "sold" on TV as being able to plant in garden in my zone (7 or 7A or 7B??).

I could email Robertas but wanted your expertise as well.

Thanks,
Bonnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tuberose - Polianthes tuberosa - do I dig up?

I have been growing them here for about 15 years. They are completely gone in the winter but always return stronger and broader in the spring. They do need as much summer heat as they can get and do not do well with root competition. They also like ample water and rich soil. They are native to Mexico where they grow along stream beds. If their needs are not met they may never bloom, which is why so many gardeners give up on them. They can do well in containers, IF their needs are met, which are more demanding than for those planted in the garden. Al

o
RE: Tuberose - Polianthes tuberosa - do I dig up?

Al - good to know about the root competition, since as I said, they're smothered with marigolds and there's a mum next to them. I'll transplant them to a more open spot and be sure to water lots. Thanks!
Bonnie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here