Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is the best time to palnt fall bulbs in Chicago area?

Posted by vivian_2010 IL 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 22, 10 at 21:03

I am in Zone 5a and north of Chicago. When would you recommend to be good time to plant fall bulbs? Searched on line and there are several versions. Some recommend plant right before the first frost, and some recommend to do it after the first frost to make sure ground is cool enough. I have been gardening for several years and have limited experience with fall bulbs.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Vivian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is the best time to palnt fall bulbs in Chicago area?

I'd say now is the time to be planting in your area, as I'm sure the soil has cooled considerably.

What are you planting?

Sue

o

I would plant now in your zone. Small bulbs and narcissus are supposed to be planted before tulips. They need time to get their roots established before the ground freezes, which I'm guessing in your area might be the end of December. Tulips can be planted probably up until the end of November.

o

Thanks for your feedback. I will start planting today then. Here are the bulbs I plant to plant: Tulips, daffodil, allium and muscari.

Vivian

o

Just finished @120 bulbs, a few tulips but mostly crocuses and two kinds of little alliums. I've planted up until New Year's, and most of them have come up although some not until the next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here