Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Bulb/Peony Root Planting Time

Posted by AprilAlliums 6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 21:03

Hello,

I've posted a similar question in the peony forum, but I thought I might try the bulb forum as well.

I have a question/problem concerning the planting time of bulbs and peony roots that I've ordered from various online providers. The problem I have is that at the moment I'm not home in october to plant these roots as I would like, so I've requested delivery in early to mid november, but now I'm worried that I'll be planting them too late in the season.

If anyone could share their experiences planting later in the season and how that effected growth, or just comment in general I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much!

April

(Here is a list of some of the bulb varieties I've ordered just for reference)

Allium Ambassador

Allium Mount Everest

Allium Globemaster

Allium Giganteum

Allium 'White Giant'

Spanish Bluebells

Casa Blanca Lily

Camasia 'Blue Danube'

Eremurus Robustus

Eremurus White Beauty

Trumpet Lily regal 'Album'

Trumpet Lily reagale

Peony Gardenia

Peony Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt

Peony Moonstone

Peony Sarah Berhardt

Peony Coral Sunset

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Bulb/Peony Root Planting Time

I don't know about the lilies other than orange ditch lilies which you can't kill (not a lily person) or the peonies (I've always gotten mine in earlier), but I've successfully planted lots of allium, along with daffodils, tulips, muscari, in late November. You've got a lot of planting to do! Good luck.

o

Thanks so much. Those bulb catalogs are so tempting I couldn't help myself! Now I have almost 600 bulbs being shipped to me in early November!

thanks again,

April

o

ha - I know exactly what you mean! Just do yourself a favor and do not under any circumstances open the van Engelen emails about the giant sale at the end of the month or beginning of Nov! Spring will be fun.

o

Lilies and peonies will give you no problem. I've gone ahead and opened those van Egelen emails and as a result had plenty of experience planting after thanksgiving. My only problem was not as labeled peonies. Still pretty but I'm not sure if any of the three were moonstone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here