Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindyncmts

purchasing bulbs

cindyncmts
13 years ago

In this bad economy, we are cutting back on so many things. Included in this is the amount of money we spend on bulbs. We want to continue planting daffodils in our yard but cannot afford them from places we would normally order them from. Soooo, we are considering getting them from Costco. We pretty much want to stick with the ones with large flowers. Does anyone have good or bad experience with bulk daffodils from Costco. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (5)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I regularly buy bulbs from Costco, not daffodils because they multiply so fast, I can give away a bucket every year. Bulbs are easy because you can see what you are getting. Some bulbs will take a year or two to reach their full potential. If you want new varieties don't expect them from costco. As far as the bulbs being healthy and in good condition, you need purchase bulbs when first offered, but that is true everywhere. Al

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I don't know about Costco, but I buy big bags of daffodils from Lowes and you must check every bag for dried up bulbs and "ghost bulbs" - nothing there but outer skin. I've seen four out of a bag of 12 be no good. So I try to feel as many bulbs as I can in the bag before I buy it. You'd think the store would give you a discount.

True, you often get a double bulb among them; but I think it's dishonest when the bag says 30 bulbs and you end up with 25. This is very prevalent when bags of 100 are sold, but I don't' see bags like this sold at Lowes anymore. Maybe that's why - too many complaints.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I have had problems with bagged bulbs from mass merchandisers not being as labeled. Not just from Costco but Wal*Mart and Home Depot too.

I bought pink/white daffodils and got yellow. I bought Regal and Oriental lilies and got yellow Asiatics. Etc.

You might not care but I sure did. Especially since I paid higher prices than I would have for plain yellow daffs and plain yellow Asiatic lilies.

• duluthinbloomz4
    13 years ago

I've had good luck with big box bulbs, but I'm not looking for anything unusual. I've bought boxes, bags, packages of King Alfred daffs because they're cheery and big flowered and yellow and so far that's exactly what I've gotten. No duds, no mold, no shriveled bulbs.

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

Here is a tip for lots of cheap daffs. Lots of mail order nurseries run end of season sales. Usually in december they post whatever they have left at drastically reduced prices. In my location its not all that cold that time of year yet and the ground never freezes here so I can plant all year round. Watch espcecially Van Bourgondien ( I know I know, I cringe when I think about their quality too). But it is sure hard to beat a half bushel of daffs (around 250) for 20 bucks and free shipping! That is the exact deal I got last year. Brent and Beckys does the same thing, but they are considerably better quality, however not as cheap. Just an idea.