Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squirrels and Crocus

Posted by wvbetsy z6WV (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 19, 09 at 21:37

I'm having a terrible time with the squirrels (I think) this fall. They are destroying the fall crocus. I've not had this problem before. At first I thought it was the kittens digging in the beds. Then I found beds dug up where the kittens don't go. It looks like that as soon as the crocus start to bloom, the squirrels are breaking off the buds and digging the corms. I haven't actually seen the squirrels doing this. Any suggestions about how to prevent this from happening?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squirrels and Crocus

Sprinkle blood meal around the Crocus. That should help deter them. Hate those buggers!
Good luck.

o

I have two young siblings who are always "nose to tail" together.

Have a suspicion they're going to be an "adolescent problem" with bulbs this year.

We forget they reproduce and younger ones appear to be more curious and playful than their elders.

Not funny to the one who dug, planted and waited for those much anticipated blooms, though.

Hope bloodmeal works for you. I have some so may try it even though I spray bulbs and planted area with 'Ropels' every year.

Raining cats and dogs here so bloodmeal would've been less effective than spray.

Good luck from here too...wondering if I'm going to have same problem...LOL.

o

I bought a roll of metal fencing material...hardware cloth? Something like that. It is a small square metal grid and we cut them into pieces that can be laid on the ground over where the new bulbs are planted and weighed down with a stone and that worked last year, so we are doing it again. When the bulbs start showing in the spring, you can store them until the fall.

o

Critter Out works good on ground squirrels here in the desert. : )

o

I've had squirrels behead tulips. Ropel sprayed on the blooms worked very well. I also sprinkle hot pepper on the ground around bulbs when I plant them..I think it burns their noses when they sniff around and this deters them from digging anything up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here