Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Went a little bulb crazy, now for some questions

Posted by Karolina11 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 21:38

Alright, so I went a little bulb ordering crazy when I found easytogrowbulbs.com this july. First year ordering bulbs so I could not control myself. They are all set to arrive this Saturday so it is a full weekend of planting for me.

However, I have a few questions.
First off, here is what I ordered:
Allium Globemaster
Allium Azureum (Blue of the Heavens)
Allium Moly
Anemone Blanda
Bearded Iris Pink Attraction
Bearded Iris Harvest of Memories
Bearded Iris Autumn Circus
Bleeding Hearts
Camassia leichtlinii 'Blue Danube'
Chionodoxa Blue Giant Chionodoxa Pink Giant Crocus
Crocus chrysanthus
Advance Crocus vernus King of the Striped
Narcissus Pink Wonder
Narcissus Pipit
Narcissus Sir Winston Churchill
Narcissus Rip Van Winkle Narcissus Yellow Cheerfulness
Narcissus Replete
Narcissus Avalon
Narcissus Golden Bells
Narcissus Pink Charm
Dutch Iris Apollo
Dutch Iris Eye of the Tiger
Dutch Iris Golden Giant Eremurus Robustus (Foxtail Lily, Desert Candle)
Grape Hyacinth
Hyacinth Gypsy Queen
Hyacinth Peter Stuyvesant
Hyacinth Hollyhock
Lily, Trumpet African Queen
Lily, Trumpet Golden Splendor
Lily, Trumpet Pink Perfection
Lily, Trumpet Regale
Lily, Oriental Lily Casa Blanca
Siberian Iris Super Ego
Spanish Bluebells (Hyacinthoides) Pink
Tulip Little Beauty
Tulip Flaming Parrot
Tulip Linifolia
Tulip Marjoletti
Leucojum Gravetye Giant
Ornithogalum nutans
Stripped Squill (Pushkinia)
Oxalis Triangularis
Crocus Sativus

Here are my questions:
1. I have lots of part shade/sun space and not a huge amount of full sun space. I was going to attempt to grow the following in part sun (around 4 hours of sun, dappled shade the rest). They are shaded by either cherry or lilac trees so it would be full sun in early spring and then goes into the part sun conditions:
Striped squill
Crocus Sativus
Ornithogalum nutans
Siberian Iris Super Ego
Spanish Bluebells
Leucojum Gravetye Giant
Tulip Little Beauty (species)
All three hyacinths
Grape Hyacinth
Narcissus Sir Winston churchill
Narcissus Yellow Cheerfullness
Narcissus Avalon
The chionodoxa
The other crocus varieties

Has anyone had any luck growing these in a partial sun situation? I do not want to treat them like annuals and replant every year.

2. My neighbor has told me that all of her bulbs were dug out by animals last year. She could see the holes on top of her soil where they were dug up so I am guessing squirrels and/or groundhogs. I am armed and ready to put hardware cloth over the top of these. However, these are all going into mixed beds and thus I cannot put it down over the entire bed. How big should I make the squares covering the top? Basically wondering how many inches squirrels might dig at from the side to get to the bulbs.

3. I have already seen voles in my garden. Unfortunately I do not think I could make cages for all of those bulbs but I am willing to make them for the ones that voles are particularly attracted to. Which ones in your experience are the biggest vole targets?

4. I have ordered enough that I can plant some in pots to overwinter to replace any that might be eaten for the winter. Which ones are easiest to overwinter in pots? I have never attempted to overwinter bulbs before so would the routine be the same as perennials? Use a nursery black pot, leave in unheated garage, and don't let the soil dry out completely? Or is there a different routine for bulbs?

Thank you very much for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Went a little bulb crazy, now for some questions

I can try to help with my experience. I have my lilies, oxalis, hyacinth, squill, Spanish bluebell, and crocus in part sun and they all do quite well. My parents have their narcissus and bleeding hearts in dappled sunlight and they do well also. Since most of your bulbs are spring blooming, with the exception of the lilies, you will probably be fine since you say it doesn't become part shade until later. I think tulips and allium do like sun. Good luck! It will be beautiful. I don't know much about voles.

o

That is exactly what I needed to know! Thank you!

o

Did you start planting yet? Have fun! You mentioned that this is your first year buying bulbs, are you all set on how to plant? Since it looks like you have a lot I just wanted to suggest planting the smaller ones as quickly as possible. Dig one hole at sorta the right depth, dump in a good sized handful of bulbs and cover. Don't get caught up too much on if they're pointing up, if they are spaced exactly correctly, if the depth is perfect.... They just need to get in the ground and you need to enjoy doing it!

The crocus, tulips, and lilies will be most at risk for voles..... Maybe the camassia. You can either cage them in or plant them in pots, your garage sounds good just be careful when bringing them out, in my experience they will die if refrozen once shoots are sprouting. You could try planting in pots and then putting that pot into the ground. Just keep the rim level or above soil level and keep the pot full of soil so it doesn't hold water. Don't mulch, the voles will hide under the mulch and use the cover to go over into the pots.

Lmk if what I wrote makes enough sense. Good luck!

.... Voles also eat grape hyacinths but not so much regular hyacinth or Spanish bluebells. Congrats on going bulb crazy, I like the way you think

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here