Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted daffodil bulbs

Posted by daffydill_2008 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 21:40

Hi! I live in Tampa so don't think it is cold enough for Daffodils (some of you may tell me different!) So I sometimes buy a potted 'dil. Is it possible to save the bulbs from year to year? I kept mine in its pot, have allowed it to dry out, and done nothing with it. Any ideas? Thanks a lot for any suggestions.
Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted daffodil bulbs

Daffodils are usually fine in nine so long as the days are cool and not too bright. I notice that after a warm day the flowers are starting to droop whereas they go for longer in cool, wet days.

I don't know what size your floristry daffodils come in. Our pots of, say, 'Jetfire' come as five to a six inch wide and shallow pot which is ok for a bunch of flowers but not too good for keeping the bulbs for another year.

If your bulbs are still firm when you turn out your pot go to a pot around eight to ten inches deep. Those little bulbs produce masses of roots and they need about three inches of dirt over the top.

Generally use good potting mix - either no soil or a soil-based. If it comes with fertiliser added you won't need to top up until after flowering.

If you don't get many flowers next year - don't give up in despair. The bulbs may have needed to get settled and plump up again. Give them another year.

If you can put them outside on your north-eastern side they'll probably be fine. If you get heavy winter rains, make sure the pots can drain easily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here