Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 8b/9a - too early to plant tulips in pots?

Posted by sjp8987 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 14, 09 at 22:32

Hello all,

I bought some tulip bulbs last spring that flowered and went dormant after continuing to grow after the flowers had spent. Once the leaves died, i dug them up, let them dry off a little, then put them in the fridge. They've been in the fridge for about 3 months now and one of them is staring to sprout. Is it too early (Oct 14) to plant them in pots? They are small bulbs so I think they should be okay in a pot.

Any advice is appreciated - I'm in Houston Texas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 8b/9a - too early to plant tulips in pots?

If one of them has already sprouted in the refrigerator, it's probably ok to plant it now, although it might grow really soon. But I'd hold off planting the others until December. On the other hand, you might want to check with a plant shop in your area more familiar with your warm climate.

o
RE: Zone 8b/9a - too early to plant tulips in pots?

Yes go ahead and plant them now. The refrigerator over the long run will desiccate or dry out the bulbs. As you describe the bulbs as small they may not bloom for you, but if not planted they will be even smaller soon. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here