Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving Caladiums in mixed pots for winter

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 13, 10 at 22:51

I have caladiums all planted in pots. Some are mixed with either tuberous begonias, and some with ivies and plants that will be brought in for the winter. This is the first year I ever grown them, and I have been really happy with their performance. They seem to be dying down/wilting, maybe because there were a few cold nights. The begonias are still going strong, however.

Should I bring them inside, pot and all? When? Wait until a frost threatens? The tuberous begonias I normally bring in, then dig up after they decline and the stems fall off, which is usually a few weeks later.

But the other caladiums are planted with things that don�t decline (ivy, dracaena, impatiens, sweet potato vine), but live in the house all winter. Do I still dig up the caladiums? Do they need a rest period, like the tuberous begonias seem to?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving Caladiums in mixed pots for winter

Should I bring them inside, pot and all? When? Wait until a frost threatens?

I found this from the link below so would say to bring them in to let the foliage die off naturally.
about storage
The bulbs should be dug before the first frost. Time permitting, the leaves should be allowed to dry up and fall off naturally. This allows the nutrients to be absorbed by the bulb. The leaves may also be removed by cutting them off close to the bulb, being careful not to cut into the bulb. Any cuts or tears into the bulb increase the chance of fungus/rot during storage. Ideally, the bulbs should be stored in flats in an area that is going to stay at 70 degrees or warmer with good ventilation. If space is limited, the bulbs may be placed in mesh bags with peat moss as a separator. Check bulbs periodically for softness or rot and discard. Bulbs can be replanted in the spring.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But the other caladiums are planted with things that don't decline (ivy, dracaena, impatiens, sweet potato vine), but live in the house all winter. Do I still dig up the caladiums? Do they need a rest period, like the tuberous begonias seem to?
Now I am just guessing here, but I think since they can live year round in the ground in warmer climates that they would be fine, left in the pot with other things growing in it all winter. Undoubtedly, you will be cutting back on the watering during the winter anyway, right?

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Good info from Caladium World

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here