Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can force same hyacinths next spring?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 23:21

I forced some Lady Derby hyacinths this spring, in potting soil. They were potted last fall and kept in the cold garage until March, when they sprouted and were brought inside. I put the pots outside in the garden after blooming where the foliage grew, matured, and died back, seemingly in a normal way. Can I force these same bulbs next year?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can force same hyacinths next spring?

Hi Linnea!

I'm 'guessing' that you can force them just fine but that just like if left in the ground, they will not be big and robust like this past spring with their first bloom for you.

Remember this thread...Hyacinths and their flowerings.

I'm guessing that when you remove the bulbs from the pot, that you will probably find bulblets that have grown off of the sides, which would hinder them from being big, robust blooms next spring, even if you remove them the bulblets before repotting this fall.

Please let us know what they look like when you get them out of the pots.

Sue

o

Usually, forcing bulbs in the house weakens them a lot. They are ok to plant in the garden, where they will recover in a few years. But, I think you could be really disappointed in the results. They may not bloom at all, or they may just have tiny flower stalks with only a few blooms on each stalk -- nothing like what you had last year in terms of size and quality of the display.

Try it if you want and see, you won't be out anything but time and effort. But personally, I would just leave them outside and buy fresh bulbs for forcing.

o

The general rule for winter bulb forcing is that bulbs should only be forced once and then put into the garden to continue growing and blooming there. Buy new, large ones to force each fall. For forcing, buy the plumpest, largest bulbs you can find. If forcing tulips, look for early blooming, shorter varieties. The stems will naturally elongate a bit when forced indoors. The same for narcissus, although I don't think it is as important to select early varieties, since all narcissus are quite early.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here