Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I save frost-killed tuberous begonias?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 23:47

We had frost Sunday night, at least 2 weeks earlier than normal. I have numerous tuberous begonias in hanging baskets and pots. They now have limp and soft leaves and stems. Most still have some healthy leaves below but not all. It was not a hard frost: just enough to zap the tenderest plants like the dahlias, begonias, and callas. Most are the large leafed hairy kind (not Rex, just tuberous) but one is an angel wing.

Can I still save the begonia tubers? Last year I brought them in about this time in October, waited for them to decline, stopped watering, then dug up the tubers after the stems dropped off. I had really good luck, for the first time. Should I do the same now? (Though this time there will be no waiting for their decline!) Or will the shock have killed them? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I save frost-killed tuberous begonias?

Should be no problem. Withhold water to force them into total dormancy and then treat as you would a new tuber. You may lose a bit of tuber size cutting them off abruptly but they ought to survive.

George

o

Thanks! The soil in the pots is damp because it was raining when we brought them in. But I wont water any more. Hope they dont rot first. I have waited a few days to see if they perk up, but for most of them, the leaves are mushy, transparent, and limp.

Should I wait for the soil to dry out naturally before digging?

o

In each pot now, about half are blooming and looking fine, and half have the tops dead. I may have to dig up half at a time! I have not watered, but pots are STILL damp from when I brought them in. Better to wait until all have declined?

o

Yes, just continue as you have in the past, not watering and allowing them to die back. The tubers will normally increase in size a little every year. I never plant or water mine in the spring until the buds are growing. This will usually avoid the chance of rotting. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here