Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving calla lily tubers

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 23:49

Im growing these for the first time, in pots. I read here (somewhere) that they get bigger and better every year. These (from HD) were a bit of a disappointment: hardly any flowers, but very lush shiny leaves. I planted maybe 3 tubers per large pot of mixed annuals, and only had maybe 1 flower per pot. Maybe the next year they will be better for having grown bigger. They were both pink and purple varieties, if that makes a difference. Are the white ones more floriferous?

Id like to save these and give them a second try. We had a light frost and the leaves are not mushy, but laying down and flopping over in the pots. Would this be the right time to dig them up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving calla lily tubers

I'm started my calla lilies in pots this year but only one bloom still trying to figure out what I need to do to improve that. However, I can tell you that yes the bulbs will get bigger. I had a couple that I had to destroy the plastic pots to get them out. Next year will use bigger pots.

o

I've had my callas for about 7 years now and they have multiplied well. We had a very rainy summer and my white ones did well this year, the others not so much. I have pink and purple as well and they usually all put on a great show.

Dig them up now! I dig mine up as soon as they're done blooming each year. Let them dry out, cut off the foliage and store them in a box in soil in the basement. They've come back year after year through a few different houses and gardens.

o

Thanks! Store in dry soil so they don't sprout?

o

I always use dry soil. And I try to lay them out in the sun for a couple of days to really dry them out before storing. Good luck, they really do make beautiful flowers!

o

I used to grow calla lilies in a large, self-watering tub. At the end of the season, I would let the tub dry out, then I would store it in a dark, dry, cool area. I did not water over the winter. My only problem was remembering to drag the tub out in the spring. A few time, I was late and the tubers sprouted in the dark. The shoots were white, but they greened up once I moved the tub outside into the light.

I lived in south-east Pennsylvania at the time, and I had a few callas that self seeded near the patio; those plants over wintered well for several years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here