Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tugbrethil

Non-blooming Scilla peruviana.

tugbrethil
14 years ago

Last winter I inherited a pot full of scrawny Scilla peruviana bulbs. Because they were already in full foliage, I decided not to transplant them then, but I fed them and kept them in full sun until they went dormant for the summer. They never bloomed this spring, but the foliage became very lush, and the bulbs grew to 15+ cm in circumference. On the other hand, the bulbs were so numerous and crowded they were fit to bust the pot, and flowing over the top!

Late this summer, I dug them out and divided them. They came apart into groups of 4-5 bulbs, held together with thick, woody rhizomes. I planted each group 2 inches deep in a 10 in. pot. They are up for about a month now, and healthy as hogs.

My main questions are: what else can I do to encourage bloom this year, and about when should I expect that bloom?

Thanks for the advice,

Kevin : )

Comments (8)

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

If I recall correctly my old S.peruviana took 2-3 years to bloom in the ground.

As to fertilizer, only low nitrogen. Sunset says May bloom.

The only other thing I can think of is to allow the foliage to yellow before removing. It is unsightly during this time but don't remove it too early.

• tugbrethil
    Original Author
    14 years ago

2-3 years, huh? Grumph! Oh well, good things come to those who wait. I wonder how those pots of blooming scilla in the nursery were grown?

I'll switch to a rose food or such-like this year, and see how it does. I was assuming the Sunset date was for the coast.

I also routinely allow the foliage on my bulbs to dry completely before removing, having learned that the hard way 30 years ago! Last year it was July before I took off the leaves.

Thanks, iris gal!

• vetivert8
    14 years ago

If you have room in the garden you could plant them out. They are definitely hardy in zone 9.

According to one source, each bulb needs a year's rest after flowering.

Fully agree about the low nitrogen feeding. And well-drained soil. Morning sun. Patience...;-)

• tugbrethil
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again, iris gal! : ])

Right now, I'm still prowling around, looking for a spot with morning sun and not too much water in the summer for one of the pots. The rest of them are going to be inflicted on my friends and neighbors as soon as they bloom--they're not likely to appreciate them otherwise! They already view me like the guy who has a big lemon tree, or 200 sq. ft. of zucchini plants in his back yard: "Oh, no! He's carrying a bag again!"

I may eventually wind up on the exchanges with some of my stuff, as soon as I can figure out this on-line security hooraw.

• tugbrethil
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, vetivert8!! I don't know why I confused your reply with iris gal! Strictly an early-morning-fuzzy-brain type of mistake. I'll have to remember to double check in the future.

Every day in every way, I'm getting better and better! [twitch, twitch]
    Kevin : ]

• vetivert8
    14 years ago

I am soooo wounded! ;-))))))) (lol)

• ninecrow
    6 years ago

Hi Guys
    I KNOW This an Old Thread But I've Just Bought a Pot of These Bulbs...
    I'm Hoping That They Can Stay in a Pot {I'm In a Flat} On a Windowsill For Now As I'm Hoping That I'll Be Able To Have a Couple of Raised Pots Outside My Window To Keep Them In....
    But Just Thinking About That Are They Going To Be Hardy Enough For {UK} Middle England?
    Thanks All

• HU-867424741
    2 years ago

Hi, igrew these in my farm garden in south deast new south wales. Winter temps minus 6c. Never lifted except to thin them out.. they thrived. I started with three bulbs, have given away hundreds. Same story with the pineapple lilys

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?