Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwintering calla lilly bulbs

Posted by doriswk Ontario (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 13, 09 at 0:56

Last spring someone brought me a pot of very pretty calla lillies. When they finished blooming and the leaves had dried off, I put the bulbs in the soil in our front garden. I was surprised that they soon started growing healthy leaves again , but no flowers.
I somehow thought I could leave the bulbs in the soil,like tulip bulbs,but someone told me that it is too cold here in Toronto to do this. Can I leave them in, or should I take the bulbs out? When would I need to do this, and where would I store them, perhaps in the garage?
Help in this respect would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwintering calla lilly bulbs

Doris, I just posted on this last week. Here are the replies from my thread:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bulbs/msg111836149833.html?5

Here is a link that might be useful: overwintering tender bulbs

o
RE: overwintering calla lilly bulbs

thanks, I did find the link within the linked page.
It appears I need to dig up the bulbs, wash them, dry them, store them in peat moss till April when they are supposed to show shoots...?
The garage is cold, the basement is very warm. I guess I'll keep them in the garage?
Doris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here