Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm stunned. Tulips WON'T bloom in San Fran?

Posted by davidinsf (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 1:05

I know I do not live in a hot weather paradise but the Bay Area's weather is usually conducive to growing almost anything. And I grow everything from annuals and shade loving begonias to dahlias and roses and tulips and daffodils.

But I just got a notification from Am Meadows that the tulips I ordered are not hardy in my zone (10) but are in Wash and Ore?

I always thought bulbs needed LESS water and more sun and apparently it is exactly the opposite with some tulips? I don't get it - why would any bulb want MORE water and LESS sun? (If they need more water, I can always supplement our 20"/year with the hose!)

So has anyone else experienced this that lives in a mild climate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm stunned. Tulips WON'T bloom in San Fran?

I believe it is the winter chill that they need to bloom. You would probably get them to bloom the first time by buying precooled blubs (or doing it yourself in a refrigerator). But the next year they probably won't bloom. Some species tulips grow in zone 10 but they do not have the same look as regular tulips. Think of everything you CAN grow!

o

Tulips will bloom beautifully in San Francisco. You should consider them as annuals, however as you don't have enough winter chill to bloom the second year. I always buy mine as soon as available, about the end of August and put them in my garden refrigerator until the first of December when they are planted in the garden. Dependable blooming is never a problem. When the bloom is over, just dig them up and compost or throw away. With the low cost of tulips, this is not a sacrifice. Al

o

Thank you both.

I have recurring tulips now so I thought it was strange to hear they 'might' not bloom.

I never realized some tulips need that cooling. I guess that explains why I get some to grow only once - I had thought it was because they got waterlogged over the winter and rotted.

Digging them up and refrigerating them is no problem so that's my regimen from now on.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here