Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brigarif

Lilium Asciaticum

brigarif Khan
12 years ago

Has anyone grown the plant over years? If so please educate me with your experience.

What is the life cycle of a Naturalised plant?

Do the bulbs survive if left in the ground?

When do they sprout on their own?

What is their normal bloom time?

How long the above ground parts of plant (stem) live after blooming?

Should the bulbs be lifted after the stem dries?

Do the bulbs require chilling, if so for how long?

When should they be re-planted?

I am asking these questions as my previous attempts to grow them, failed. I have now planted about 20 bulbs; these had already sprouted during transit because of their pre-chilling and are now in bloom. I am sure this is not their normal cycle. If I fail again it would be my last attempt.

I live in Lahore Pakistan, USA Zone 11-12 with Rains in July-August

Arif

Comments (2)

• pizzuti
    12 years ago

Are you talking about Asiatic lilies? I've never seen them referred to as Lilium Asiaticum but I don't see any other lily species it could be referring to.

On the other hand there are a lot of species known as "asiaticum" from a number of families.

If you are speaking of Asiatic lilies, they are very common in cultivation in temperate areas. They do require a cold period to start growing; if you don't have a natural winter, 10 weeks is a good length to chill them artificially.

They normally sprout in spring when most spring bulbs like tulips and daffodils are blooming. They continue growing and bloom in summer, maybe 10 weeks on average after appearing above the soil, and after the flowers fade the remaining stems maintain their leaves until late fall or frost.

That probably works out to another 10-15 weeks of leaves remaining after the flowers die; the longer the better if you want to grow them as perennials, which they easily can be.

Unlike a lot of spring bulbs which seem to be able to store a year's growth worth of energy in the bulb, a year's flowers get a lot of their energy from the same year's growth; unlike spring bulbs Asiatic lilies won't be able to pull off flowering indoors unless you have them in very bright light and ideal growing conditions.

I would imagine that in a tropical climate, planting them outside in the ground or container after chilling would work well for them as long as they are in bright light.

They do need to be lifted in order to be chilled artificially. Otherwise, there is no need for those growing in climates with natural winters to lift them until they are overcrowded.

They do naturalize and multiply well. The subsequent year you might get 2-3 plants for every one that was there the year before.

Asiatic lily bulbs never grow completely dormant, so unlike other bulbs, you want to store them in a bag of slightly-moistened soil, or keep them in the ground. They will have roots constantly. However as far as the garden is concerned, they are completely absent all winter.

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, yes I ment asciatic lilies. So nice of you.