Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lycoris aurea info wanted

Posted by iris_gal z9 CA (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 2:16

I have 2 bulbs of Lycoris aurea from Home Depot's sale! Never have they discounted their bulbs by 50% this early!

http://www.edensblooms.com/product/L3 says to plant in shade to semi-shade.

I don't think this is right. Anyone growing this yellow Lycoris? The bulbs are small - size of a Dutch iris. One site says 2 inches of soil above the bulb, another says let the neck protrude. Help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lycoris aurea info wanted

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 8:53

My L aurea has the neck of the bulb perhaps 2 inches below soil surface. I have to worry about frost...but I don't think you do. I wouldn't expect them to bloom for a few years.
Plant in sun.

o

Thanks Barron, Full sun it is.

It would be great to have the neck protruding. Wouldn't accidently dig into them. Years ago planted the hot pink Lycoris deeper as advised. Maybe that was for cold winter zones? They did take a few years to bloom.

o

sounds like the sale bulbs were very young bulbs, going by the size you describe. nothing wrong with that, even that young, they should be putting foliage for you now but may take 1-3 yrs to bloom.

o

I'm patient. And just figured out the pink 'lycoris' I have are really nerine. Patient but sometimes obtuse.

o

I have yellow lycoris (commonly called spider lilies). They come up and bloom later in fall than the red spider lilies. The yellow blooms open about the time the reds' foliage emerges. The foliage follows the blooms, of course, and they stand all fall and winter, going dormant in late spring. My bulbs are planted with the entire bulb underground. I don't think you need to worry over much. Lycoris are so adaptable that they will pull themselves down to the proper depth, even in clay soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here