Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I be concern ?

Posted by mori1 5/KS (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 16, 09 at 4:49

Its raining again. As I was getting my mail, I noticed the my daffodil have started to sprout. Should I be concern?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I be concern ?

No. It often occurs that many spring bulbs emerge late in the fall or earlier than normal in the spring. They will be fine. I noticed the other day that the foliage from a division 2, (I think it was) large cup daff had started to emerge. The worst thing that could happen is that the tips of the foliage might be browned by the cold winter temps.

From now until spring at the normal emergence time for different bulbs, there will be posts asking about foliage that seems to have emerged much too early. In the end, the flower blooms will for the most part be just fine.

I noticed the foliage is all up on the muscari (grape hyacinths) as well as the Division 10 daffodils (Bulbocodium Hybrids, ie "hoop petticoat" form ).

There will be lots of posts about members concerned that their tulips are up too early or that they are budded and freezing temps are predicted. I have found that cold temps are not detrimental to either buds or blooms of spring blooming flowers. At worst, daffodils will be bent over some if there has been a substantial snow fall while they were in bud or bloom.

tmi?
Sue

o

Some of mine are showing too. It is an early large cup variety. I'm also zone 5.

o

Thanks guys. I'm not a big daffodil fan but started growing them a couple of years ago when I saw the white ones. I'm of a tulips and crocuses person, so I know what to expect from them.

o

Oh thank you, thank you for asking that question. I just walked outside and there's one of my daffodils peeking at me and I got sad to think that I wouldn't have any flowers from that bulb in spring. I cannot wait until Spring.

o

Many of my jonquilles are sprouting out now, about 2 inches tall through the mulch. I think they'll be fine though. Maybe I'll need to divide them next year, although they were just planted last year (2008).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here