Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amarygia hybrids have produced tiny bulbs

Posted by susi_so_calif USDA10/Sunset24 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 6:46

My Amarygia hybrids (purchased a few years ago from the Univ. Calif. Riverside Arboretum plant sale) have produced about 50 tiny bulbs the size of large pearls. I found one site that says to put them on top of seed starting mix with a lot of pumice in it, and to keep the medium damp. I did this on 11/16 and a number of the bulbs are now producing small green roots (?). Now what???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amarygia hybrids have produced tiny bulbs

I've never grown Amarygia but I've grown Hippeastrums... when the seeds begin sprouting, I just keep them very moist and move them into light. They grow in their start medium for a few months; you can really keep them in there indefinitely or until they are very rootbound.

To keep them especially moist I put saran wrap about 2 inches above the soil; the water condenses and keeps the soil surface constantly wet. As far as Amarygia goes, I don't know it's level of drought tolerance or it's tolerance of lots of moisture. But if they already sprouted, I'd just move them into light and make sure the tender plants don't get dry.

I hope this answer is sufficient until you can get a better one from someone with more knowledge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here