Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Qs re "Winter Aconite"?

Posted by rouge21 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 7:14

I am putting in some last bulbs before the real winter weather sets in. Aconite is appealing due to its very early flowering.

- Does it consistently achieve dormancy? If so, when is this most likely to occur?

- How aggressively does it spread? And if so is it easy to remove unwanted plants to keep it in check?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Qs re "Winter Aconite"?

It will go dormant around when the tulips bloom and you won't see it again until March. It will seed out but I've never heard anyone complain it is a pest. If it gets too thick the seedlings are fairly easy to control, and usually people complain that it doesn't establish fast enough rather than the other way around.

o

Thanks 'kato'. I am always searching for early bloomers to take advantage of areas which have more sun exposure in April while the many surrounding trees have yet to leaf out.

o

Hi rouge,
I checked my pics from this spring. They turned completely yellow around early June. I didn`t pull or prune the old foliage.

The yellowish bits are Eranthis hyemalis.
O, and I find them tricky to establish. They are not actual bulbs but some other corm or something and often get too dry while sitting on the shelf.

IME you get only a little percentage to grow. So either buy and plant really early (perhaps park in pots or something) or try to use seeds. They burst out of the seed pod when they are mature.

So, thats my shady border in a back yard with some hours of direct sunlight.

(and sorry about the S. mischtschenkoana, I tried once to answer your email, but wasn`t sure whether it reached you)

Bye, Lin

o

Thanks so much Lin for the detailed reply. I have heard that it is hit and miss getting them to grow from corms but that is all I have (they have been soaking in water for the past day and I will plant them tomorrow).

I didnt get your email Lin! Please try to message me again as I would love to hear of your experience with mischtschenkoana.

o

They look their best under trees in sparse grass. They get lost in a flower bed. They bloom in January here.

o

Thanks for that 'flora'.

January for you might translate to late March or early April for me (depending on the amount of snow still around).

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 16:38

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 4:08

In Oklahoma, somewhere between January and March they'd bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here