Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulips/Hyacinths sprouting before in ground? Please help!

Posted by vegas31 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 8:12

Hi --
Was planning on planting some tulip/hyacinth bulbs this weekend, but just wanted to check on something first; these have been stored in the basement for a few weeks, and when I checked on them yesterday, some of the hyacinth bulbs have a green shoot coming out of the top, and some of the tulips have a pale shoot coming up -- my questions would be:

- have I waited too long? can they be planted??
- maybe they got too warm in the basement?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulips/Hyacinths sprouting before in ground? Please help!

It will help to know specifically where you live. Here in my Deep South Zone 7 I must chill my tulips for 8 to 10 weeks before planting. They need this process if they are to bloom. The sprouts are not great, but in the end, they won't hurt anything. Go on and plant the hyacinths in the ground as soon as you can. (I always count out the 8 to 10 weeks on my calendar from the day I put the tulips into the fridge. That way I don't forget when to plant them.)
Keep the tulip bulbs away from fruit. The ethylene gas the fruits emit will kill the tulip bloooms.

o

Am in baltimore/zone 7....

o

I would advise you to prechill the tulips, unless someone from your are comes on here and says otherwise. It certainly will not hurt them....

You will have to watch sharp for a day to plant them in January. Or if worse came to worst you could plant them in pots then.

o

Grape hyacinths normally begin growing in fall; if that's what you have, they are trying to put out their fall flush of leaves.

Regular hyacinths, along with some other bulbs, normally begin growing underground shoots in fall that gradually work their way towards the surface. They are doing exactly what they are supposed to do!

o

donnabaskets - I'm fascinated by the pre-chilling thing. It's something I never heard of until I started frequenting Garden Web. It's not mentioned at all in UK gardening circles unless you are talking about forcing bulbs for indoors. If you are in z7 and I'm in z8-9 (although the US zones don't really work over here) why doesn't anyone in the UK need to pre-chill? I've tried to check the actual figures for how long and how cold tulips need and I can't find anything. Can you help?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here