Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitimpinai

40% off at Van Engelen

pitimpinai
18 years ago

It must have begun today. I just planted mine last weekend. They were 20% off. :-D

It looks like Allium cristophii/albopilosum is still available. I always get 100 of this at full price from Brent & Becky's 3 - 4 years in a row. Next year I am going to wait for this sale!

Comments (16)

• little_dani
    18 years ago

I got that email this morning. I have already been there, done that, the lilies will be shipped today. I have no will power, I am such a weakling, just a sucker for a pretty flower. LOL

I still have a couple of spots to plant something in. And I can always sow seed on top of these bulbs. Where is that Johnnys Seed catalog? !!

Janie

• ego45
    18 years ago

Finally! Patience pays!
    I just ordered Rijnveld's Early Sensation and Serola daffs.
    Will mix them together to have a full month of non-stop blooms.
    I know Early Sensation could take quite a good deal of shade due to the early bloom time, what about Serola?
    Anyone have first hand experience?

• cynthianovak
    18 years ago

I'm trying to shake it off. I ordered some yesterday! I Rijnved reall did bloom for me in late January last year. That time when everything is gray they were big and gorgeous.

Speaking of big. I got my King Alfred type in (yes they are still on sale) many are literally the size of my fist. I've never seen so many daffs so big.

I also went for the muscari neglectum and the muscari mix and some crocus. Oh My!

I read about the Rubrum species lily on Old House Gardens, EGO I believe you sent me a photo of yours. yep got some of those too.

• raul_in_mexico
    18 years ago

Go away you evil spirit , the power of the Lord commands you !

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You folks are a riot. :-) I like to add bulbs too. As long as I can insert a trowel without piercing another - well, even when I do, I say ooops, and add another bulbs anyway. LOL. Anyway, I can't possibly add any more this year. I already added 3200+ this fall. :-D I have told friends they didn't have to go to Holland, MI next spring & just come to look at my garden. :-P

I didn't mean to plant all those in my garden. I had ordered them for my church/temple. They had me hopping mad about something, so I just stuffed them in my garden instead. :-)

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmmm. Cynthia, is this what you just planted? Great choice. I added five more to my garden last week. :-D

{{gwi:30039}}

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

Fortunately Van Engelen was out of everything I wanted at this point--the Galanthus ikariae, the Tulipa acuminata, the Crocus tommasinianus...I did place an order at 20% off for a "few" things (Same with Brent and Becky's--and now I found Touch of Nature (touchofnature.com) and found a few hundred bulbs (so inexpensive, how could I resist?) that had to be bought: Crocus, chionodoxa, Narcissus 'Irene Copeland' and a Hippeastrum.

• Fori
    18 years ago

Wow...are y'all really still planting stuff up north?

I just stopped in to see what to do with the bulbs I didn't get planted before today's snow. I guess I'm a wimp. Maybe I still don't have an excuse and will have to do it after all.

Can you really plant bulbs until the ground is too hard? :)

• ego45
    18 years ago

For as long as grounds are workable, most of the bulbs can be planted.
    One of the years I planted late purchased daffs and crocuses in mid-December and they bloomed the next spring and every spring thereafter.
    We expecting snow, rain and slit for tomorrow, but mid-low 40's in a next 7 days, so I think it would be not so unpleasant to go out and dig a few holes :-)))

• irish_rose_grower
    18 years ago

I always plant mine as long as the ground isn't frozen. I'm zone 6b/7a. I still haven't planted my tulips bulbs and daff's but will do it in the next few weeks.

I really wanted that rubrum lily after I saw the picture here - but when I went to their website yesterday they were sold out :-(

I'm waiting for 50% before I buy anything else.

• ego45
    18 years ago

Website might show certain bulbs as a 'sold out', but customer service reps have a current up-to-minute inventory.
    Might be worth to give them a call.

• irish_rose_grower
    18 years ago

EGO45 - thank you. I did call them, all sold out.

I'm waiting to see if anything goes to 50% off.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
    Maureen

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

Ugh! You guys are bad! I had twenty lily bulbs all selected, filled out the on-line order form, and then found out I needed a $21 minimum - I was at $19 and change. Sheesh. I just cannot find room or time for more bulbs, so I cancelled the order...

Then I come here and see this thread. Well, I give up and give in. I'm off to Van Engelen to re-order my lilies - and add a few more too, I guess!

:)
    Dee

• irish_rose_grower
    18 years ago

Well - I did it. I couldn't wait till 50% off because so much is already sold out from the 40% off sale. I wanted Rubrum so so much. Darn it was sold out, I even called.

If anyone has any they would like to trade, here is what I have on order as of today:

oriental lily dizzy
    lily asiatic pink-white mix
    tigrinum lily fireking

I wanted some of the species heirlooms, but they are all sold out.

If any of you have any experience with the ones I ordered will you fill me in please?

Thanks for starting this thread Pitimpinai
    Maureen

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maureen,
    I stuff bulbs wherever I can insert a trowel, so I only vaguely know what and where I planted things, espeically bulbs. :-) I won't know what I have to trade when it is time to dig them up. :-D

I planted Dizzy last spring and and Fireking last fall. Dizzy came from Brent & Becky's, Fireking from VE. They were part of a very large order. I had already had a huge lily collection. Unfortunately, the lilies from B&B were infected with virus and they infected most of my existing collection. I called them. The service rep said someone would contact me, but so far, zilch.

VE lilies don't always come true to type, but so far I have not been that picky, because I am growing them for cutting. All lilies look good in arrangements.

I ordered the prized ones from the Lily Garden to make sure I get the right ones.

• Mayax68
    18 years ago

I ordered 4 kinds of lillies:

Little Italy
    Avingnon
    Touching
    Dizzy

My total was around $19 and the rep still sold them to me. She said that she will not make me buy any more then I need, since the total was so close to the minimum required.

Maya.