Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
manda3

Rearranging Spider Lilies in North Texas Clay Soil

manda3
13 years ago

I really need some advice. I bought a really old house and on the side I found a ton of Spider/Surprise/Hurricane Lilies pop up this September. I did notice that they are really packed together. There's a significant clump missing in one section and a few random clumps out in the yard. I'd like to move all the stray clumps into that missing clump.

The soil is clay. I'm really worried about doing something stupid and killing them all. Should I dig up the strays, separate them, and then just stick them in the clay? Should I dig them up in a big shovel full and place them as-is into a hole? Should I dig up all of them, separate all of them, fill in the bed with expanded shale/dirt/compost I do in the other beds, and replant them spread out in there? Will amending the missing clump mess up the surrounding clumps as far as drainage goes? And, can I do this now while I can still see the leaves or wait until they grow yellow in the spring?

Don't be afraid to be overly detailed. I have never messed with bulbs before and I need help! Thanks so much. :)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022