Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlc102482

Containers to prevent wasting excess bulbs?

jlc102482
11 years ago

I bought way too many bulbs this year (way, WAY too many) and have not been able to plant some of them. There are also some snowflakes blowing around outside today, so I think I may have missed my chance to get them in the ground. Can I plant them in containers and overwinter them, just to do something with them other than tossing them? If this is possible, how big must each container be? Also, can I keep the containers in my unheated barn over the winter, or would they be better off in my unheated-but-not-very-cold basement?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

Where in zone 6 are you located? I think you would be surprised at just how much planting time you have left. While winter never really seemed to arrive here much last year, I figure I can fairly safely plan to plant up to the end of Nov. Though it was in the mid twenties here last night, it is to be in the fifties this week and even sixties on Fri.

I'd only consider containers once winter temperatures have really set in.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: check your weather forecast here-Wunderground

• minflick
    11 years ago

I've done bulbs in the black nursery pots many times, when I lived where I didn't want to put them in the ground. I usually get the 10" or 12" pots, that give good root space, and I get lovely flowers in the spring.

FWIW from my house!

• ontnative
    11 years ago

Bullbs often rot if they freeze prior to being well-rooted. I am thinking of narcissus/daffodils in particular. I like to keep these bulbs (when potted) in a cool but NOT freezing area for about 2 months after being potted up. If the pots freeze after that, the bulbs should be okay, since they should have formed good root systems. If your barn will stay above freezing weather for two months, go ahead and put your potted bulbs in there. Even if temps drop below freezing after that, they should be fine. "chemocurl" knows more about daffs than I do. Perhaps she can comment on this.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

"chemocurl" knows more about daffs than I do. Perhaps she can comment on this.

I'm not experienced with daffodils in pots, have only had failures with 'other' bulbs in pots, and the advice given by ontnative sounds good to me.

This fall however I was given 12 black pots that have daffs planted in them. They have been in the pots for a year or two. They were grown in pots and then the pots were 'dug in' at a site for instant bloom and then removed once the bloom was over. The bulbs have been rooting in and are showing some top growth since they are planted quite shallowly. I intend to top them off with some soil, and sink them into the ground for the winter. Next spring I intend to pull the pots up, and sink them into the ground out by the mailbox and viola! Instant blooms!

Once the blooms have faded, I'll replace the pots with later blooming cultivars, so hopefully will have daffodils from early daffodil season, until late season. We'll see how it goes and if it is something I will try and continue to do.

Sue

Btw...it looks like there is at least another 2 weeks of fairly good planting weather for planting them in the ground.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022