Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paperwhites not flowering

Posted by ontnative 5b Can/USDA 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 10:12

I purchased 6 Ziva paperwhites from a local nursery, that had been storing them in their cool (refrigerated) cut flower section. I pottted them up as usual, but they are getting very tall and flowering very little. I have not had this happen before, so was wondering what was up. On a couple of websites, I found information that said paperwhites should NOT be refrigerated during storage or the flower buds might abort. Anyone had this experience?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paperwhites not flowering

How odd... I'm forcing a bunch right now and have not experienced aborted flowers. I keep mine in the fridge (without fruit in it) and take a couple bulbs out every 2 weeks to force, so I have a continual supply of budding paperwhites and hyacinths throughout the winter. Right now I have several that are just about to bloom, and the buds looks really small - but I know they will expand soon.

I have been doing this for years, and always keep the bulbs in the fridge crisper. Every now and then I get a bad bulb that just rots and I toss it out when it becomes evident that no roots are forming - plus the water turns putrid.

Perhaps you just have a bad batch of bulbs... Or they just need more time to produce the flowers. Candy

o
RE: paperwhites not flowering

Thanks for letting me know your experience with keeping paperwhites in the fridge. Maybe the bulbs were starting to dry out. I bought them at a reputable nursery that sells a lot of bulbs, but the paperwhites and amaryllis were the only ones in the refrigerated section.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here